Thursday, June 4, 2009

All the Single Ladies!

I saw a half-assed paper about this same idea at the EMP Pop music conference last month. The presenters of the paper pontificated nebulously on the idea that the meaning of a given object (in this case a music video, song, and chunk of choreography) changes not only as its images and sounds are proliferated in new and different contexts, but also in relation to the audience's knowledge of these references. I.e. which of the literally hundreds of response videos s/he has seen.

I know, I know...I can already hear you saying stfu, so here are some videos for you; the original video and a couple parodies they missed (probably the two most proliferated).

Here's what Kan--errr, I mean Beyonce had to say about her song:
“There’s something about the song. I can’t stop seeing the choreography when I hear it. My foot just starts doing the steps. It’s so embarrassing. I don’t want people to think I’m dancing to my own song, but I can’t help it.”


No comments:

Post a Comment